1883
The original Fremont City Waterworks consisted of an open reservoir and infiltration galleries from the Sandusky River. Two steam powered pumping units pumped partially settled water unsuitable for drinking to a standpipe 100 feet high by 25 feet diameter (356,000 gallons) located at Fountain Park. The distribution system consisted of ten miles of mains and 856 service connections with ten of them metered. Potable water was supplied by various wells around the city.

1927-1928
The water treatment plant was constructed at Rodger Young Park.

Treatment plant/pumping capacity was 3 million gallons per day (MGD).

Treated water was stored in a 450,000 gallon clearwell located at the treatment plant and in a 300,000 gallon elevated tank at Whittlesey Street.

1950-1953
An expansion project doubled the treatment plant capacity to 6 MGD.

Treated water storage expanded with the construction of an additional 550,000 gallon clearwell at the treatment plant and a 500,000 gallon elevated storage tank at Wilson Street.

1959
A 500,000 gallon elevated storage tank was constructed at Walnut Street to increase the treated water storage to 2,300,000 gallons.

The Ballville Dam was purchased from Ohio Power Company for use as a gravity flow raw water intake with a capacity of 12 MGD.

1969
Two 3 MGD and two 6 MGD high service pumps were installed at the treatment plant.

Improvements made to the Ballville Dam, including concrete repair.

A 2,000,000 gallon elevated storage tank was constructed at Cedar Street increasing the treated water storage to 4,300,000 gallons.

1971-1972
Sludge handling improvements were made with the installation of a centrifuge for dewatering lime sludge and the construction of a filter backwash water holding basin and recycling pumps.

A new chlorine storage building and dry chemical feeders were added to improve the chemical feed process.

1981
The original sludge lagoon was abandoned and three new sludge-drying lagoons were constructed.

1982
Existing sand and anthracite filter media were replaced with granular activated carbon for taste and odor control.

1983-1984
A new building was constructed for the administrative offices, and the chemical and microbiological labs.

1989
The Whittlesey Street elevated storage tank was demolished after 62 years of service.

1989-1990
Filter improvements were made with the installation of a new filter underdrain system and media. New valves and controls for filters were installed as well as a filter backwash pump.

An emergency back up power generator was constructed.

1994-1996
The treatment plant was expanded to a filter capacity of 7 MGD and treatment capacity of 10.5 MGD.

2002
Raw water storage improvements:  Land purchase of approximately 145
acres southwest of the City of Fremont in Ballville Township.  Future site of 700 million gallon raw water storage reservoir. 

2004-2006
Treatment plant capacity expansion:  Treatment plant capacity: 14 MGD,
Increase treatment chemical storage, Eight additional filters, Additional 1
million gallon clearwell.

Treated water pumping expansion:  Two additional high service pumps,
Pump capacities - 1@3MGD, 1@6MGD.  Total pumping capacity 22.6 MGD.

Sludge handling improvements:  Construction of sludge thickener and press
building.  Improvements of existing sludge lagoons.

Distribution system improvements:  16,000 feet of 16" and 24" waterlines.

2008

Raw water storage improvements: Design, bidding, and groundbreaking of 700+ MG raw water storage reservoir to be completed in 2011.

2013

The Fremont Reservoir was placed in service on March 27, 2013.  When full, the reservoir holds about 750 million gallons of water.